Project Design Team Wednesday~ Seaside and Chevron Picnic Quilt
Posted by administrator on Wednesday, July 4th, 2012
Hi! I'm Maureen from Maureen Cracknell Handmade and I am SO excited to be a part of the Riley Blake Design Team!! Today I'm sharing a tutorial for a Hand-tied Picnic Beach Quilt using a simple patchwork of Riley Blake's new Seaside Collection for the quilt top and their Yellow Chevron Laminate Fabric for the back. If you have any questions feel free to email me at email@example.com. Now let's get started!!
What you'll need : :
- 24 - fabric squares of Seaside Measuring 11.5"
- 2 - fabric strips of a Seaside print measuring 4.5" x 44"
- 2 - yards of Yellow Chevron Laminate Fabric
- 1 - skein of matching floss or twine (source) for hand-tying
- white thread
- Sewing pins and basting pins
- Sharp scissors and/or a rotary cutter/mat set
Sewing the Seaside Quilt Top : :
1. pin two 11.5" squares together with right sides facing, securing with a couple of pins on one side 2. repeat with all 24 squares until you have a stack of 12
5. pin two of your panel of two squares together with right sides facing, securing with a couple of pins on one side 6. repeat with all 12 panels of two until you have 6 panels of 4 squares, press as you go
7. repeat by sewing your panels of 4 squares together to make 3 panels of 8 squares, then continue to sew the quilt top together until all 24 squares are sewn together (the finished quilt top will be 4 squares wide, 6 squares long)
8. press seams open 9. add one border strip of fabric measuring 4.5" x 44" to both ends
Sewing the Quilt Top to the Chevron Laminate : :
10. with right sides facing, pin the finished Seaside Quilt Top to the piece of Chevron Laminate. Sew the top piece to the back with a 1/2-inch seam allowance around all four sides, leaving a 10-inch gap at the bottom edge. Back stitch at the beginning and end of this seam. This opening is for turning out the quilt
11. snip off the corners and turn the blanket right sides out making sure to poke the corners out. 12. Press the quilt well and pin along all four edges, pinning the opening closed. Top stitch around the entire blanket a 1/4" from the outer edge, back stitching at the beginning and end of the seam
* NOTE * When you top stitch, have the laminate side facing up.
Your Finished Quilt will measure 42" x 72"
Hand Tying the Quilt : :
13. Use a length of twine or floss measuring 4", thread through a sharp needle (there is no need to knot the end). At each place on the quilt top where fabric are sewn together, push need through the quilt top, making sure it goes through both the Seaside top and bottom Chevron layer of the quilt, bring back up through the top leaving a little stitch. Tie each stitch tightly with a square knot (a square knot is a simple double knot), trim threads to be about an inch in length. Repeat throughout the quilt.
Now you're ready for those fun Summer picnics and trips to the beach!
Thank you so much for stopping by to see my Design Team Project!!! I'll be back soon with a new one! Be sure to let me know if you give this one a go!! ♥ Maureen
Category: Project Design Team Wednesday