Project Design Team Wednesday~ Dresden Pocket Half Apron
Posted by administrator on Wednesday, September 12th, 2012
Today I'm sharing a tutorial for a new Half Apron Pattern, using the gorgeous Willow fabric collection by My Mind's Eye for Riley Blake Designs. I used the fabric prints as inspiration to create a Flower Dresden Pocket on each side and a little pleated detail down the center! If you have any questions leave a comment or feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. anytime!! Now let's get started!!
What you'll need : :
What you'll need : :
- 4 - Willow prints measuring 4.5" x 18" from which you'll cut your Dresden pieces (you'll need 20 pattern pieces for each finished Dresden)
- 1 - piece of Willow measuring 18" x 37" for apron skirt
- 1 - piece of Willow measuring 9" x 38" for waistband
- 2 - pieces of Willow measuring 3.5 x 44" for straps
- 4 - pieces of Willow measuring 5" squares for the Dresden pocket centers
- 2 - pieces of Heat n Bond Lite measuring 5" squares
- 1 - EZ Quilting Easy Dresden Ruler by Darlene Zimmerman
- white thread (my source)
- Sewing pins
- Sharp scissors and/or a rotary cutter/mat set
Creating the Dresdens : :
1. Using the Easy Dresden Ruler cut out the pattern shapes, twenty for each Dresden 2. Fold each fabric piece in half with rights sides facing and sew along the very top, staying a 1/4" from the edge 3. Doing this one right after the other makes this step super quick and easy!
4. Clip pieces to separate and snip the corner on the folded side, making sure not to cut the thread 5. turn piece out to create your point and press each piece well 6. layout your design and gather in the order in which the pieces will be sewn together 7. using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew pieces together to create the Dresden
8. press all seams open 9. using two of the 5" fabric pieces, press to adhere them to the 5" pieces of the Heat N Bond. Cut 4.5" circles from each of the 5" pieces of fabric -- Two circles will be backed with Heat n Bond and the other two, fold in half and press well 10. set these and the Dresden pieces aside
Creating the Apron Skirt : :
11. Using the piece of fabric measuring 18" x 37", create a hem at the bottom and on both sides by folding in the edges 1/4" and pressing well 12. Fold 1/4" again, press, and pin in place 13. Sew along inner folded edge and the outer edges to create a double seam. Get ready to add those Dresden Pockets!!
17. Carefully sew around the Dresden applique piece using a straight stitch and around the center circle pocket piece using an applique stitch. Repeat these steps with the other Dresden applique and your cute pockets are finished!!
Creating the Center Pleat : :
18. Still using that center crease line, take the fabric in your hand 3" from that line and bring it in to meet the crease. Press and pin in place 19. Repeat this step to create a pleat on the other side of that crease, press and pin in place, and sew a small stitch line, removing the pins as you go, just to hold the pleat in place. Using steam, press well again.
Creating the Waistband : :
20. Fold in all four sides of the waistband fabric piece measuring 9" x 38" and press 21. fold in half with the long sides matching up perfectly and press along the folded edge 22. place the finished apron skirt inside of the waistband piece and pin in place 23. sew along the pinned edge and the folded edge, leaving both sides open
Creating the Apron Straps : :
24. Using the two pieces measuring 3.5"" x 44" 25. fold in edges, press and then fold in half 26. sew along the outside edge all the way around each strap piece, staying close to the edge 27. Insert strap piece into the opening on each side of the waistband, pin in place 28. Sew straps in place, for this I always sew two seam lines
Voila! You are done!!
I really hope you enjoy making and wearing this apron! As always, if you do to give this tutorial a try -- be sure to let me know and feel free to share a photo in my new Flickr Group or on my Facebook page anytime!!
And, be sure to stop by my blog, Maureen Cracknell Handmade today for a special Willow Fabric Giveaway, thank you and a BIG thanks to the ever wonderful Riley Blake Designs!!
Happy sewing, friends!! ♥ Maureen
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Category: Project Design Team Wednesday