Hope

Posted by Cindy on Tuesday, December 18th, 2012

It is with a grateful heart that tomorrow we donate $21,800  to Autism Speaks and the Carmen B. Pingree Center for Autism ($1,800 is from our friend Billy Alper- Thanks Billy!)

Your purchases from Pieces of Hope fabric line have generated this donation.

I have a nephew with Autism.  He is sweet, curious, smart, but does not speak.  We try and connect with him and see into his world.

My sister in law, Jenna had an idea over a year ago.  She suggested that Riley Blake Designs create a fabric line that would benefit Autism.  Having a son with Autism herself, she knows how difficult it is to raise a child with this challenge.  No two children with Autism are the same, so care has to be specialized for each child. Each parent wants to provide the very best for their child, but funds are limited. They need help and we all want answers.

From this idea, our Pieces of Hope fabric collection was created.  It has been very successful.  I think in part because it has bright colors and fun designs, but I also think people wanted to support Autism. Whatever the reason THANK YOU for your support.

We know they will use these funds wisely. Autism Speaks is a fantastic organization that helps fund research and education. Carmen B. Pingree is a great resource to the Autistic community and works directly with children.

Again, we thank you and ask you to please share what projects you have made from this fabric.

Categories:

Comments

1. That is so wonderful! And it's a great fabric line!
    by Rebecca
    December 18th, 2012 at 9:47 a.m.
  2. Having a son on the spectrum this means the world to me. No two autistic children are alike and that makes it difficult. And the collection is beautiful!
    by JackieJo
    December 18th, 2012 at 10:09 a.m.
  3. It is a lovely fabric line and what a wonderful donation. I purchased a stack of fat quarters and plan on making a quilt for my son, who also has autism. Thank you for supporting such a great charity.
    by judi garber
    December 18th, 2012 at 12:32 p.m.
  4. Yay! So.... Are you going to do it again next year? I think it's a wonderful initiative!
    by Michelle
    December 18th, 2012 at 1:56 p.m.
  5. I purchased this fabric collection and made my daughter in law a wall hanging for her office. She works with autistic children everyday to evaluate them for a better quality of life. I liked the line so well, I made a quilt for her office to raffle off for te local autism speaks, also made three tote bags.
    by Bev
    December 18th, 2012 at 2:43 p.m.
  6. With all that has happened and the horror of Sandy Hook, your generosity gives me faith and hope and has been a bright spot during a very dark time. Thank you so much for that, truly......
    by SuzyMcQ
    December 18th, 2012 at 6:59 p.m.
  7. Thanks for all of your kind comments. All of us at Riley Blake Designs have been profoundly saddened by the tragedy that took place last Friday. We are a family oriented business and children are near and dear to us. One person can be a force for good or sadly evil. We pray for the families of Newtown, Connecticut.
    by Cindy
    December 19th, 2012 at 6:08 a.m.
  8. As a parent of a young adult with autism I am thrilled always to see the support and rallying that is done to provide assistance. Happy Holidays.
    by Linda Armenti
    December 22nd, 2012 at 7:12 p.m.
  9. I made the first project with my carefully hoarded Pieces of Hope this month- a crayon roll. I fussy-cut so the word Hope shows on both sides.
    by Susanne
    December 23rd, 2012 at 4:06 p.m.