Project Design Team Wednesday~ Rolie Polie Raggedy Skirt

Posted by administrator on Wednesday, January 16th, 2013

Rolie Polie Raggedy Skirt Tutorial
Skirts are the easiest thing to design and sew.  If ever I want to boost my sewing confidence I make a skirt.  That is how this tutorial for the Rolie Polie Raggedy Skirt came to be…I needed a confidence booster. :)
I love the edges of the rolie polie strips.  They are pinked and will not fray to badly, but will look really cool and country if sewn like a rag quilt.  So I sewed the edges outward and it turned out so cute.  Make sure to pin it to your “Sew Easy” boards.  This is a simple and fun skirt that you can make in an hour (unless you have young children).

Rolie Polie Raggedy Skirt Tutorial 1

Supply List:
Riley Blake Designs PARIS & COMPANY Rolie Polie
old jeans cut just below the pockets
other sewing essentials (thread, scissors, machine, etc.)

Instructions:
Rolie Polie Raggedy Skirt Tutorial 2
Pick out 8 strips and cut them into 9 inch strips.

Rolie Polie Raggedy Skirt Tutorial 3
Measure how long you want the skirt and cut the strips accordingly.  My little one is 4 years old and I wanted the skirt to hit just below her knee so I cut my strips to be 9 inches.
Put the strips in the order you want to sew them.  Create a nice little stack.

Rolie Polie Raggedy Skirt Tutorial 4
Grab your first two strips and with wrong sides together sew a 1/4” seam.

Rolie Polie Raggedy Skirt Tutorial 5
Press the seams open when you have them all sewn together.  Sew the front strip to the back strip creating a circle {your skirt}.

Rolie Polie Raggedy Skirt Tutorial 6
Now create the gathering in the skirt.  There a number of ways to do this, but I like to sew two basting stitches and pull the strings to create a gather. Then sew a normal stitch in between the two basting stitches to secure your gather.  There is an in depth tutorial at Ucreate taught by Nancy’s Couture.

Rolie Polie Raggedy Skirt Tutorial 7
Next, zigzag stitch the bottom to avoid fraying when you wash the skirt. Turn it under 1/4” and press with iron.  Hem the bottom.

Rolie Polie Raggedy Skirt Tutorial 8
With the skirt piece wrong side out, place the jeans inside matching the top of the skirt with the bottom of the jeans.  Pin in place and zigzag stitch or serge them together.

Rolie Polie Raggedy Skirt Tutorial 9
Turn the whole thing right side out and top stitch over the gathering.  This will secure the skirt piece better and make it lay really nice and pretty.  Put it on your model and enjoy!
My little Ellie loves it!
Rolie Polie Raggedy Skirt Tutorial 10

becky bio

Category: Project Design Team Wednesday

Comments

1. Love the idea !!! Such a cute skirt !!!
    by Miss Butterfly
    January 16th, 2013 at 12:21 a.m.
  2. Very sweet! I remember using jeans in a similar fashion when I was younger. Thanks for the memories and great tutorial!
    by Rose Schneider
    January 16th, 2013 at 12:43 a.m.
  3. I would like to find the Youtube, but cant, can you give me the site. love this......Thank You
    by Vicki
    January 16th, 2013 at 8:29 a.m.
  4. Love this!! My girls would love this. I want one for myself too.:)
    by Gretchen
    January 16th, 2013 at 9:42 a.m.
  5. Curious... how did you work around the zipper???
    by Suzy
    January 16th, 2013 at 6:42 p.m.
  6. Hi Suzy, I cut the zipper off where I was going to serge...not the jean part, but just the zipper. It seems to be holding together just fine...even after 3 washes.
    by Becky @ Ucreate
    January 16th, 2013 at 9:27 p.m.
  7. Oh yes! I want to do this! Great idea!
    by Lindsey
    January 16th, 2013 at 9:53 p.m.
  8. You always have THE BEST things for little girls. I love them all. My daughter-in-law thinks I am the best abuela in the whole world for making all these clothes for our baby girl. The best part is that I am having so much fun doing it. Thank you.
    by Frances Quigley
    January 17th, 2013 at 12:54 a.m.
  9. Becky, this rocks! I love the raw, exposed seams for a funky, distressed finish. This is one of my favorite RBD lines and I love ways to use up denim.
    by Nike@Thrive
    January 17th, 2013 at 7:44 a.m.
  10. simply amazing !!! just donated a bunch of jeans. but for the next time I'll try this first and extend the life of her jean
    by Dhoralynn
    January 17th, 2013 at 5:57 p.m.
  11. How wide did you cut the strips? I may have missed it but only see how long you cut them. It looks about 3" maybe 4" though.
    by Tish
    January 18th, 2013 at 5:31 p.m.
  12. Hi Tish, That is the great thing about buying a Rolie Polie, the strips are already cut to the perfect width. I just had to make them the perfect length for a 4 year old. Great question.
    by Becky @ Ucreate
    January 18th, 2013 at 8:35 p.m.
  13. I saw a girl do this with men's ties. She kept the length of the skirt and sewed different lengths of ties to the bottom. Could you do a tutorial for one like that?
    by Joanna
    January 18th, 2013 at 10:06 p.m.
  14. Tish....The "jelly roll" already comes in strips so no need to cut the width. Becky....I'm not sure what you meant by "I cut the zipper off where I was going to serge". Can you explain that further or show a pic? I'm making this for all 3 of my granddaughter's!!!!
    by Diana
    January 20th, 2013 at 7:52 a.m.
  15. Hi, I've just posted a blog post on a skirt I made influenced by this tutorial! http://a-fresh-page.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/a-ruffled-jeans-skirt.html
    by Katy
    March 13th, 2014 at 9:34 a.m.