Project Design Team Wednesday~Easy Tiered Skirt

Posted by administrator on Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013

Hi everyone, it's Simple Simon and Co. and we are back today with an easy but especially darling skirt today that we have seen all over children's clothing websites selling for lots of money.  But instead of spending lots of money, we are are here today to teach you to make your own tiered skirt out of fabric from your sewing stash.

I made this particular skirt for my daughter who is seven years old and wears a size 7 in girls, but the skirt is easily adjusted for absolutely any age and any size (even adult----wouldn't an all white one for Spring be lovely?)

For my skirt I used three different fabrics from The Simple Life by Tasha Noel for Riley Blake Designs.

To begin the skirt, you will need a measurement of how long you want the skirt, which you will then need to divide by the number three (because you want three tiers.)

I needed an 18 inch skirt so my tier measurements are each going to be 6 inches.  But because you will have seam allowances on each tier you will need 7 inches for the middle tier....and the top and bottom tiers will need a little extra to make an elastic casing on the top and a hem on the bottom.

Also, because the tiers get more full as the skirt flares out....you will need double the fabric for your second tier and triple the fabric for your third tier.

Here are the exact measurements I used for a girls size 7-8, but you can adjust according to your size of elastic and how much hem you want at the bottom.

Top tier-- 8.5 inches by 45 inches (one width of fabric).
Middle tier--7 inches by 90 inches (two widths of fabric).
Bottom tier-- 7.5 inches by 135 inches (three widths of fabric).

(You can see I have two seperate pieces for the middle layer and three fabric pieces for the bottom layer.   Stitch these separate pieces together to big, long strips before you begin the tutorial. )

And here is the tutorial of how you make the skirt....

And you are done!

Thanks, as always for having us here today!  We always look forward to being over here.....

~Elizabeth

Simple Simon & Co

Category: Project Design Team Wednesday

Comments

1. Awesome, as usual, Elizabeth.
    by Becky @ Ucreate
    January 23rd, 2013 at 12:08 a.m.
  2. Too cute!! My two grand babies will love it!
    by Grama Lehr
    January 23rd, 2013 at 5:01 p.m.
  3. You did fantastic job Elizabeth! I love light blue fabric. :)
    by Tea Rose Home
    January 25th, 2013 at 3:37 p.m.
  4. Thanks for a great tutorial. I adore this fabric!
    by Ruth
    January 26th, 2013 at 4:53 p.m.
  5. Omg! I like it soooo much! I like your blog and follow your you tube channel. You tube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMarlenSima Blog: afroditacreations.blogspot.com
    by Marija
    January 29th, 2013 at 7:47 a.m.
  6. Love a good tiered skirt. Thank you for the great tutorial http://www.mogulinteriordesigns.com/category/77403589041/1/Bohemian-Skirts.htm
    by Mogulinteriordesigns
    March 07th, 2013 at 1:20 a.m.
  7. Great great skirt! How would I size it for my tall 8 year old daughter? I'm a beginning sewer.
    by Jennifer Chuang
    April 15th, 2013 at 7:09 a.m.
  8. Do you have any advice on how to determine how wide to make the first tier? I know what her waist measurement is, but I don't know if I should double that for the elastic or do some other increase.
    by Carmen
    July 13th, 2013 at 3:43 p.m.
  9. Fassion Fruit We are a mixture of people, coming from all the places of the world with one goal in our mind. To bring fashion masterpieces to the women of Australia. Ideally, we would like to expand to the rest of the world and create an outstanding company connecting all the females that enjoy fabric.
    by shohanali
    January 12th, 2014 at 12:26 a.m.
  10. Excellent ! Was looking as to how to do the layering...simple explaination...thank u !!!
    by Yatie
    February 07th, 2014 at 8:45 a.m.
  11. Hi, I've just posted a blog post on a skirt I made influenced by this tutorial! http://a-fresh-page.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/a-ruffled-jeans-skirt.html
    by Katy
    March 13th, 2014 at 9:33 a.m.
  12. I am wanting to do a skirt with 6 tiers and I am wondering if instead of doubling each layer could I get away with less, but how much less?
    by Jenny
    April 06th, 2014 at 10:58 p.m.