Project Design Team Wednesday~Polka Dot Pillow Sham
Posted by administrator on Wednesday, January 30th, 2013
Hi! I'm Maureen from Maureen Cracknell Handmade a proud member of the Riley Blake Design Team!! Today I'm sharing a tutorial for a Rugby Stripe Pillow Sham using just a few of Riley Blake's wonderful basics, Cotton Dots and Solid fabric. If you have any questions feel free to email me at email@example.com. Now let's get started!!
What you'll need : :
- 1 - 1/2 yd cut of RBD small Cotton Dots in Brown
- 1 - 1/2 yd cut of RBD small Cotton Dots in Grey
- 1 - 1 yard cut of Solid White Fabric
- white thread
- Sewing pins and basting pins
- rotary cutter/mat set
- standard size bed pillow
Piecing the Rugby Stripes : :
1. Using the rotary cutter/mat, cut 3 pieces of fabric measuring 5 1/2" x 31" from both the brown and grey dots. Cut 6 pieces of fabric measuring 5 1/2" x 31" from the solid white
2. Using 1/4" seam allowance, with right sides facing pin and sew the length of the fabric strips together in a pattern -- brown, white, grey, white, brown, white, etc... 3. repeating until all strips are sew together in one long piece, pressing the seams open as you go
4. Once all strips are pieced together, hem both the top and bottom edges of long long panel by folding over the edges 1/4", pressing well, fold over and press again, pin and sew both along the inner and out edges of the fold
Becoming A Sham : :
5. With the work facing right sides up on the cutting mat, use the inch marks on the mat and a ruler as your guide, to center the long fabric piece. 6. Bring each end in, overlapping on top too measure 24". This will create the pillow front and bottom opening. 7. Pin in place on both open edge and across the middle to secure the envelope style opening 8. Using a 1/2" seam allowance sew along both sides with a straight stitch and then again using a zigzag stitch, staying in between the stright stitch seam and outer edge. 9. Carefully clip each corner, remove all pins, and turn this piece right sides out
Creating the Flange : :
10. Using a Disappearing Ink Pen or chalk and a ruler, mark a 2" line in from the outer edge all the way around the entire sham top. 11. Sew along this line, back stitching a couple of stitches when you begin and end 12. Insert a standard size bed pillow and admire your work!
It felt so good to make something for one of my boys!
I can't wait to make more!!
Thank you so much for stopping by to see my Design Team Project!!! I'll be back soon with a new one! Be sure to let me know if you give this one a go!! ♥ Maureen
Category: Project Design Team Wednesday