Project Design Team~Car Seat Swaddling Blanket

Posted by administrator on Thursday, June 6th, 2013

Hello, my Riley Blake friends. I am so happy to be here from U Create again sharing my latest creation with you. This month I am sharing my Car Seat Swaddling Blanket Tutorial.

Becky Photo 4x6 bio

Being the mother of 3 kids (all of which were colicky babies), I know how much those babies like to be swaddled and cozy.  The car seat was my kids’ enemy.  They would squirm and inevitably kick their warm cocoon of blankets off.  So, I created the Car Seat Swaddling Blanket for them (and my sanity).  I no longer have babies, but I have plenty of babies around me so I am constantly making these little blankets for baby showers.  So, score yourself some Riley Blake Designs Flannel and start creating these today.

Car Seat Swaddling Blanket by u-createcrafts.com

Supply List:

1 yard Boy Stars Blue Flannel

1 yard Boys Chevron Blue Flannel

sewing machine and other sewing essentials

Flannel Baby Blanket Tutorial

Step #1:  Wash and dry fabric.  Iron all those pesky wrinkles out.

36 inch Swaddle Blankets

Step #2:  Cut each design 36” x 36” square.

Car Seat Blanket tutorial

Step #3: Put right sides together and pin all the way around…except for 6 inches on one side.  (You need this open to pull the blanket right side out.)

DIY Baby Blanket

Step #4: Using 1/2 inch allowance, sew all the way around…except the 6 inch opening, of course.

Car seat baby blanket

Step #5: Cut corners off.

Sewing car seat blanket

Step #6:  Turn right side out.

Baby Blanket sewing tutorial

Step #7: Push corners out.  Fold opening under 1/2 inch and press all sides flat.

Car Seat Blanket DIY

Step #8:  Sew a top-stitch (1/8 allowance) all the way around.  At this point you have a perfectly square baby blanket.

DIY Baby Blanket 1

Step #9: Turn the blanket so it is diamond shape; from the bottom corner measure up 23.5” and mark with a pin.  Measure out from that pin 2 inches on both sides and mark with a pin.  Take out the center pin.  Cut a 4 inch slit from one pin to the other.

Baby Blanket tutorial 2

Step #10: Cut tiny slants at the ends of the 4 inch slit. This will make it easy to turn under and create a nice opening.

DIY baby Blanket tutorial

Step #11:  Turn the ends of your opening inside the blanket about 1/4” and pin in place.

Baby Blanket Tutorial 3

Step #12: Sew all the way around with a 1/8” top-stitch.

Car Seat Swaddling Blanket gift

Step #13: From the edge of the opening you just sewed, measure up 1/2” and pin.  From that pin measure up 10.5” and pin.  Cut a straight line from the bottom pin to the top.  Cut tiny slants at the edges just like you did with the smaller opening.

DIY Baby Blanket Gift

Step #14: Turn the edges under 1/4” inside the blanket.  Pin and sew all the way around.

Baby Shower Gift

Step #15: Repeat steps #13 & #14 on the other side. Now you have this creepy face in the middle of your baby blanket. :)

Best DIY Baby Shower Gift

The Car Seat Swaddling Blanket is the perfect fit for an infant car seat and has plenty of room to swaddle and tuck baby in nicely.  This is one of my all-time favorite DIY baby shower gifts and is always a hit with mom-to-be.  Have fun creating and come see us at U Create Crafts for more DIY inspiration.

Categories: A, Project Design Team Wednesday

Comments

1. I'm going to be the annoying person who jumps in to say that the use of blankets like these is not recommended by carseat manufacturers and will void the warranty on your seat. Manufacturers have no way to test aftermarket products, so there's no way to know how they will affect the performance of the seat. Anything placed between the child and the seat can interfere with the tightness of the harness (which is also why coats and snowsuits aren't recommended to be worn in the seat), which could be very dangerous in the event of an accident. Obviously, it ultimately comes down to a parental decision, but I think it's important information for people to be aware of. I think a blanket like this would be an awesome addition to a stroller instead!
    by Jenn
    June 06th, 2013 at 8:28 a.m.
  2. That's a good point, but I doubt two layers of flannel would have much effect on the tightness of the harness; that's only about as thick as the clothes the baby's probably wearing already. If the blanket were made out of something fluffy or bulky like fleece, it would be a bigger issue. But, as you say, it's a parental decision.
    by Cassie
    June 07th, 2013 at 4:14 p.m.
  3. Hi, I am a child passenger safety technician and I have to say that as cute as this idea is, it is just not safe. You should never put anything between the child and the carseat. And you should never put or use anything on your carseat that did not come with it when you bought it. If you have any specific questions I would be more than happy to answer them. :-)
    by Elizabeth Gaudette
    June 07th, 2013 at 8:25 p.m.
  4. Thank you to Jenn and Elizabeth for reminding us of the safety rules of car seat use. I agree that anything that doesn't come with the car seat should be used with caution. I DID use this blanket because like Cassie stated I felt it was thin enough and my babies did so much better in the car seat with it. :)
    by Becky @ Ucreate
    June 08th, 2013 at 10:08 p.m.
  5. The safety issue is not just about it affecting the tightness. This is not flame retardant like manufacturer car seat covers. If you must, just put a receiving blanket over your child after you have strapped them in properly.
    by KB
    June 09th, 2013 at 1:33 p.m.
  6. Safety of your/our babies comes first but common sense goes a long way also. How did our parents get along without all these rules and regulations that are bringing all small business and our country down.?
    by jazzelise
    June 11th, 2013 at 6:31 a.m.
  7. Very creative, Becky. This is a very cute idea. Thank you for sharing the tutorial.
    by Lex
    June 11th, 2013 at 1:50 p.m.
  8. I love this idea! I'm a mother of three kids who are now all grown up. I swaddled them in flannel blankets bringing them home from the hospital (provided by the hospital)and used them to cover my kids while in their car seat. I also make baby quilts and will make this creative blanket as future gifts!
    by Debbie
    June 21st, 2013 at 8:23 a.m.
  9. I have heard that putting things in carseats isn't safe,but seriously it must come from companies not wanting to be sued. Everyone seems to sue everyone for anything these days just for a buck and companies are trying to protect themselves. I think this is an awesome idea and will be making one or two for my baby! I have 8 little kids and have done alot of things that "they" don't recommend and good gracious my kids are the healthiest on the block! Thank you for the pattern,I've been looking for quite a while. Carseats are made of such icky,uncomfortable material that it's almost essential to make something to go under it!
    by Mamaof8
    July 15th, 2013 at 9:53 p.m.
  10. I have to say that using two pieces of flannel is less than even a thin jacket for a child...let alone a snowsuit, which we all know (and can agree) is NOT safe. The JJ Cole Bundle Me seat covers are thicker than this, so in my opinion these make a FAR superior alternative to any of those...plus they're swaddled, which makes baby happy. I just made one of these today (from another pattern, and wish I found yours first. Love the finished interior cut edges!) and am thrilled with the outcome. Some people will just never be happy!! Just use common sense. The next pattern will DEFINITELY be this one!
    by Amber
    July 22nd, 2013 at 1:10 p.m.
  11. Love this idea! I've been searching online for a pattern like this. I'm a mother of three and my first daughter was born in December. I live in Canada so the Winter months are really cold. I Wish I would've had something like this when she was born. I always stuffed the blankets over and around her but this idea seems like a perfect way to tuck them in for better comfort. Thanks for sharing this tutorial! Great baby gift idea!
    by Jess
    August 06th, 2013 at 11:57 a.m.
  12. Love this and will be making both of my children one! Thank you for the tutorial!
    by Christy
    August 30th, 2013 at 1:35 p.m.
  13. I guess I am not seeing how this adds that much bulk to a car seat harness the way a fleece shirt or jacket would. This is not wrapped around the baby before the baby goes in the harness, the baby is harnessed and then wrapped the way that you would by just placing a flannel blanket over them, which I guess by what some people have said isn't safe either, so we are just to have our babies be cold or not take them out in the first place. I personally love this idea and I will be making one for a nephew that is due in December. Like another poster said if the momma doesn't want to use it with the car seat she can always use it with the stroller. Thank you so much for the tutorial!
    by Michelle
    August 30th, 2013 at 8:20 p.m.
  14. I love this! Thanks for sharing.
    by Linda
    September 17th, 2013 at 1:34 p.m.
  15. I love this idea and plan to make one for my new grandson. As for safety, what are parents to do to keep the baby warm? When babies reach the squirmy stage a blanket tucked in around them winds up on the floor. As for fire resistant material, I highly doubt the clothes they're wearing or the blanket covering them are fire resistant either. Moms and Dads know how to safely buckle their prized possessions in these seats, with or without a blanket!
    by Leah
    October 23rd, 2013 at 7:11 p.m.
  16. Leah, the statistics are actually quite poor with how many parents correctly buckle their children even if they think they're doing everything right. It's an extremely unfortunate statistic of approximately 95% of car seats being used improperly. There are numerous ways to keep a baby warm and safe in the winter, pre-warming the car, blankets, coats warn backwards over top of the straps, car seat ponchos and child sized snuggies just to name a few!
    by Jill
    October 26th, 2013 at 6:33 p.m.
  17. For heaven's sake. What is all the hullaboo about safety, etc. As I see it, the child is strapped in per manufacturers instruction, AND THEN has a snuggly blanket tucked all the way around, on top of him/her AND underneath. It is also possible to purchase fire-proof flannel by the yard.
    by Gerry
    November 03rd, 2013 at 12:10 p.m.
  18. I'm a Mother of 6 Children ..the first was born in 1975 We didn't even use car seats..I had My Son in My arms all the way home from the Hospital. This is a wonderful Idea and I will be making one for each of the four grandchildren that We were blessed with this past year,,,and the two cominerly this yar...THANK YOU :)
    by Lezlie
    November 04th, 2013 at 6:13 a.m.
  19. This is a very good idea.. Specially for those that live in cold climate areas. I know here in Oklahoma you never know when it's going to be cold. All my kids are grown, so I make things for friends and friends kids. I will defiantly start making this. Thanks for the tutorial!
    by Ryan
    November 11th, 2013 at 2:01 p.m.
  20. My stepdaughter pointed this out to me, so I thought great, this I can do and it will be helpful instead of buying the baby a dress or something. Well, I just read all of these comments after finishing one with Sherpa fleece on one side. Now I see it isn't safe and feel like I just wasted time and fabric. Technique-wise I did the slots a little different. Instead of turning them under and top-stitching, I left the edges raw and ran a zig-zag satin stitch.
    by Heidi
    February 10th, 2014 at 11:54 a.m.
  21. I have been looking for an easy tutorial for this, and I don't usually post comments especially when the posts themselves are old. But GIVE ME A BREAK, this is still America people where parents are aloud to make the safety decisions for their children!! Big businesses (ins. companies included) have made a habit of intimidating or scaring parents into not using anything they don't approve of for their kids. Thank you for a great tutorial! I will be making and using this for my children, and to all you annoying people who enjoy pointing out "safety" issues. Get a life and let people make their own parenting decisions. There are more important issues out there pertaining to children than wether we put a blanket on/under our children in their car seats or not. Your parents didn't have any of the crap we use today and you survived didn't you?
    by Racheal
    March 29th, 2014 at 7:05 p.m.
  22. Goodness, I am so glad to be alive!! I survived my parents let me play in the dirt, riding in the bed of a truck on a warm summer day, a mom who ate bleu cheese while pregnant and tuna from a can. I also survived drinking water from the garden hose, lead based paint a d not making the softball team because I didnt pass try-outs. Keep in mind the "padding" is not harming anything since it is mainly acting as a cover for the car seat (actual seat). Heck of a lot less padding than the uber expensive ones!!! P.S. I asked this question to my brother who is the safety inspector for his police department. If you want a good laugh read this short blurb. Sooooo funny :-)
    by Angela
    April 14th, 2014 at 3:23 a.m.
  23. http://www.corsinet.com/braincandy/hage5.html Want a laugh? Read this little blurb
    by Angela
    April 14th, 2014 at 3:24 a.m.