Posted by administrator on Sunday, April 11th, 2010
Course instructor: Amanda Herring
The Quilted Fish
3/8 yard fabric for outside cover*
3/8 yard fabric for inside cover*
¼ yard fabric for large pocket*
¼ yard fabric for small pocket*
1 yard fusible interfacing
1/4 yard of Peltex
1 yard of rick rack
One 1” button
*based on 45” wide fabric, there is enough of this particular item to make two books.
Cut one 5 ¼” x 10” fabric for outside cover
Cut one 11 ¼” x 10” fabric for outside cover
Cut one 10” x 16” fabric for inside cover
Cut one 8“ x 16” fabric for large pocket
Cut one 5” x 16” fabric for small pocket
Cut two 10’ x 16” fusible interfacing for front and back covers
Cut one 8“ x 16” fusible interfacing for large pocket
Cut one 5” x 16” fusible interfacing for small pocket
Cut one 11” piece of rick rack for cover
Cut one 5” piece of rick rack for loop
Cut one 17” piece of rick rack for small pocket
Cut one 8 ¾” x 15” piece of Peltex or other heavy weight interfacing
1. Sew the 5 ¼” x 10” fabric for outside cover to the 11 ¼” x 10” fabric for outside cover. Sew rick rack 1 ½” from the seam on the 5 ¼” piece. Press seam and rick rack.
2. Fuse interfacing to the outside cover, inside cover, large pocket and small pocket.
3. Fold the large pocket over ½” at the top. Press. Top stitch.
4. Sew rick rack on the small pocket, on the right side, matching one long side of the rick rack with the top of the pocket. Roll rick rack to the back so that only half of the rick rack shows on the top of the pocket. Press. Top stitch along pocket.
5. Place the large pocket (wrong side) on the inside cover (right side), with the bottom edge of the pocket 1” from the bottom of the inside cover. Sew along the bottom of the pocket.
6. Place the small pocket (wrong side) on the large pocket (right side), lining the small pocket up with the bottom of the inside cover. Pin on the sides. Sew a scant ¼” on each side.
7. Place the outside cover and the inside cover right sides together. Make sure that you have layed out your cover so that the pieced section will end up on the front of the book and your pockets will be going the right direction. Pin small rick rack between the covers, making a loop and pinning the raw edges to the outside. Be sure that your rick rack is pinned where the back of the cover will be.
8. Sew around the outside edges, leaving about 5” open. Clip corners and turn right side out. Press the open seams under ¼”.
9. Rolling the Peltex slightly, slip it inside the open seam. Flatten it inside the pattern cover. Sew around the outside edges, about 1/8” from the finished edge.
10. Mark the center of the book (where the book will fold) with a straight line and sew along the line.
11. Sew button on.
Now your notes will be neat and tidy!