Shabby Chevron Flower Pin Cushion by A Vision to Remember
Posted by BobbieS on Friday, November 23rd, 2012
First off, I want to thank Riley Blake for this awesome opportunity to be able to share with you all a fun pin cushion. I am Bobbie from A Vision to Remember. I love all things Shabby and Riley Blakes new line The Sweetest Thing is everything shabby!
Shabby Flower Pin Cushion (finished size 8 inches square)
For this shabby flower I used:
- 1/8 yard of yellow sweetest chevron and 1/4 yard of the sweetest dots pink, and 1/8 yard cream flannel.
- Sewing Stuff (seam ripper, small scissors, sewing machine, thread)
- 2 - 4 1/2 inch circles with the yellow chevron
- 2 - 4 1/2 inch circles with the cream flannel
- 14 - 3 inch x 2.5 inch ovals with the sweetest dots pink fabric
- 7 - 3 inch x 2.5 inch ovals with the cream flannel
Assembling the Flower
- taking the 2 large cream circles and one of the chevron circles, layer them with the 2 cream on the bottom and the chevron on the top
- Stitch along the chevron stripes. Make sure to stitch along the top and bottom of each chevron
- Using your seam ripper and/or small scissors cut the white chevron stripes and 1 layer of flannel. Then rub your fingernail along all the cut seams to help them fray as much as you can.
- Now taking all of the remaining pieces...layer them with a polka dot on the bottom, then a cream flannel piece, and finally a polka dot on the top. Sew around the perimeter of each of the fabric sandwiches you just created.
- Now you will be assembling your flower.
- First take your chevron piece that you have sewn and the remaining chevron piece and layer them with the sewn piece on the top and the other piece on the bottom with the right sides facing out.
- Take a petal (the polka dot pieces) and scrunch/pleat the bottom of it so that it looks like a petal. Place the petal in between your chevron sandwich. You can pin it into place or you can sew that one into place whichever works for you.
- Repeat with all but 1 of the petals.
- Before sewing the final petal into place stuff the center of your flower with your batting
- Now taking your final petal sew it into place. It will be a little difficult because the center is all stuffed but it is possible :)
11. Voila! You now have an adorable pin cushion!