Spools Pincushion

Spools Pincushion

Printer-Friendly Instructions

Course Instructor: Rebecca from Charley, Dee, & Me

Course Materials:

3 fat quarters of your favorite RBD prints

1/8 inch wide elastic

8 small spools (with or without thread)

polyester batting scraps

1. Of your three fabrics, choose two of them to be the top and bottom of your pincushion and one to be the binding. Find a circle template or bowl that is about 9 inches in diameter. Trace the circle on the wrong side of both the top and bottom fabrics. Cut out and set aside.

Bottom Top

2. Using your binding fabric, make two sections of 2-inch bias binding, each about 32 inches long. Sew binding on to the wrong side of each circle.

Cut binding

Sew binding on

3. Fold binding over on to the right side of the fabric and top stitch in place for both circles.

Topstitch

4. Find another circle template or bowl that is about 6 inches in diameter. Trace a circle onto the center of the right side of the bottom. With top and bottom wrong sides together, sew along the inner circle, leaving about a 2 inch hole.

Sew together

5. Stuff the pincushion through the open hold. This is a great way to use leftover pieces of batting! Just tear the batting into small pieces. Sew close by hand or machine.

Stuff

6. Sew top and bottom binding together in 8 equally spaced places, creating 8 partitions. Only sew on the binding. Do not sew all the way to the inner circle.

7. Cut a 15-inch length of elastic. Using 8 small spools of your choice, thread the elastic through each spool and through each partition.

Weave elastic

Tie a knot

8. You’re done! Stick some pins in your new pincushion and get to work!

Underside

Side view

Come visit me anytime at my blog or shop. Thank you Riley Blake for having me!

Category: Pincushions

Comments

1. What an adorable idea!!!! I don't need a pin cushion... But I may have to make this anyways! Thank you for sharing!!!!!
    by Ann
    July 06th, 2012 at 8:36 a.m.
  2. thank You for the great idea. This is a great novelty item for stalls. keep up finding marvellous ideas :)
    by Pat
    July 07th, 2012 at 6:11 a.m.
  3. Isn't that the cutest thing! I saw it on the Freebies For Crafters blog and had to come and see how it is made. Thank you for the great tutorial!
    by Gina
    July 07th, 2012 at 9:05 a.m.
  4. What a fantastic tutorial. I am always searching for an escaped reel of cotton down the sides of the couch cushions, they never behave on the arm of the couch as a pincushion does. I need to make this. Thank you so much.
    by SoozieSuzy
    July 07th, 2012 at 4:19 p.m.
  5. Genial, super este tutorial gracias
    by maria celina
    August 31st, 2012 at 2:07 p.m.
  6. I have one of these that my grandmother made me, but mine has a handle with a ribbon bow on top of he handle. I love it first because my grandmother has passed away and it is a wonderful gift that I cherish and second because it is so useful!
    by Patti
    February 25th, 2013 at 3:27 p.m.
  7. What a great gift for the seamstresses in my life!
    by Kathy Wendt
    April 08th, 2014 at 7:26 a.m.
  8. Question: Is the idea here to use the thread for hand-sewing only? It seems like it would be inconvenient to remove the spools to use them for machine sewing. Either way it's a darling idea.
    by Kathy Wendt
    April 08th, 2014 at 7:32 a.m.
  9. When I saw this pincushion, I had to look. It's the same as I have used for over 30 years....made by my 93-year old great aunt.
    by Anna Worden
    April 08th, 2014 at 7:52 a.m.