Posted by JamieM on Monday, September 17th, 2012
Course Instructor: Jamie Mueller of SunFlower Quilts
Hi, I'm Jamie from SunFlower Quilts and I'm here to share with you my tutorial for a super easy swaddle blanket! These swaddle blankets are great for baby shower gifts, and kiddos just love them because they are made with soft flannel!
1 yard flannel (front side) Boy version: F2830-GRAY Peak Hour Main Gray Girl Version:F2771-CREAM Woodland Tails Deer Cream
1 yard flannel (back side) Boy version: F2833-RED Peak Hour Circles Red Girl Version:F2777-BLUE Woodland Tails Dots Blue
4 yards jumbo ric-rac Boy version:STR-15-TEAL Jumbo Ric Rac Teal Girl Version:STR-15-BUTTER Sew Together Ric Rac 1.5" Color Butter
1. Take your two yards of flannel and cut off selvedges. Each piece of flannel should be around a 35" X 42" rectangle. It doesn't have to be those exact measurements, as long as both pieces are the same and close to those measurements!
2. Lay your first piece of flannel right side up and begin pinning the jumbo ric-rac around all four edges. Join the ric-rac at the end, cutting excess if necessary.
3. With an 1/8” seam allowance, attach ric-rac around entire piece of flannel.
4. Place both flannel pieces right sides together and pin in place. With a 1/4” seam allowance sew around entire pieces of flannel, leaving a three inch opening for turning.
5. Trim off excess ric-rac before turning right side out.
6. Turn blanket right side out and press opening closed.
7. Topstitch 1/8” around entire edge of blanket to secure opening closed. (This is a great time to use all of those fancy stitches on your machine)
Enjoy, your swaddle blanket is now finished!! Great for baby shower gifts or for your child to snuggle with!
If you make a swaddle blanket, I would LOVE to see it! Please feel free to add a photo to my Flickr Group or email me a photo @ email@example.com! Also, make sure to check out my blog: jamiemueller.blogspot.com and website: www.sunflower-quilts.com for other fun patterns!