Necklace Box Pin Cushion
Posted by StacyO on Friday, February 8th, 2013
- (a) small dots red - 3" W x 5.25" H
- (b) small dots orange - 1.5" W x 5.25" H
- (c) small dots yellow - 1.5" W x 5.25" H
- (d) small dots green - 1.5" W x 5.25" H
- (e) small dots aqua - 1.5" W x 5.25" H
- (f) small dots navy - 1.5" W x 5.25" H
- (g) small dots lavendar - 1.5" W x 5.25" H
- (h) small dots hot pink - 3" W x 5.25" H
- Necklace box with polyester batting - approx. 8" x 2"
- Hot glue gun
- Scotch's double stick tape - 1/2" wide
- Fabric glue (flexible and permanent)
- Sewing machine
- Acrylic ruler or tape measure
4) Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew all the fabric pieces together along the long edge in the following order: red, orange, yellow, green, aqua, navy, lavendar, hot pink. Press seams to one side.
5) Using an acrylic ruler or measuring tape, measure 1" from the first seam (where red meets orange) and place a pin vertically. Measure 1" from the last seam (where lavendar meets hot pink) and place a pin vertically.
6) Flip fabric over so wrong side is facing up. Center box top with wrong side of fabric using pins as guides.
7) Apply double stick tape along the long sides of box top (on the outside). Press side of fabric along the long edge.
8) Apply fabric glue along the inside long edge of the box top. Fold fabric over to the inside of the box top. Repeat steps on the other long edge side.
9) Move to the ends of the box. Apply fabric glue to the box side and fold in the ends.
10) Apply more fabric glue and fold down flap.
11) Apply fabric glue to the inside of the box and fold fabric down again.
12) Repeat on other end. Allow to dry 24 hours. You’re done!
The necklace box is perfect for holding the essentials like a small scissors, thread, needles, a needle threader and seam ripper.
This design would work with any fabric combination and would be a great project to use up some scraps. Try it out and make it your own. I'd love to hear from you if you do. Visit my blog and let me know. Thanks!