Pretty Princess Pin Cushion
Posted by AllisonN on Friday, January 11th, 2013
My name is Ally from Quilting Mumma!
I am thrilled to be able to design a project for Riley Blake-and I hope you enjoy making one for you too.
I dont know about you... but I have pins EVERYWHERE!!! there are little boxes of them at my cutting table, my sewing machine and ironing board. So I wanted to make a nice BIG pin cushion to sit on my cutting table that I could fill with pins.
How lovely is this bundle of "Happily Ever After" ?? Perfect for my princess pin cushion :)
All you need to add is 1/2 m of 6mm elastic and toy fill to this bundle to make a beautiful pin cushion just for you!
1. From your princess fabric, cut one 6 1/2 inch square.
2. From your yellow swirl print cut one 1 1/2 inch strip, then cross cut into
2- 1 1/2 x 6 1/2
2- 1 1/2 x 8
3. Now stitch a yellow 1 1/2 x 6 1/2 strip to both sides of your princess square, press seams. Now stitch a 1 1/2 x 8 strip to top and bottom of your square.
4. From your aqua check print, cut one 3 1/2 inch strip. Trim off selvedges and press in half using an iron. Now open your strip up wrong side facing up, you will see a crease in the middle. Fold and press both ends to the centre crease, then fold the entire strip in half again and press. you willl now have no raw edges showing.
5. fold the top edge down 1/4 inch and stitch along the short seam.
6. take your 6mm elastic and lay in on your aqua strip wrong side facing up. do a few locking stitches to hold the elastic in place, now pull the elastic taught and stitch along the elastic until you have one long gathered strip.
NOTE: Its best to work in small sections at a time for this step.
7. Trim your gathered strip into 2- 8 1/2 inch pieces. Turn each end down 1/4 inch and stitch so you cannot see your raw edge.
8. Pin and Stitch on to the top and bottom of your pin cushion top.
9. From your orange check print cut one 10 inch square. lay your pin cushion top right side facing down on top of the orange square right side facing up
10. stitch around all three sides leaving a gap on one side for turning through.
11. Turn through, stuff with toyfill and slip stitch the opening closed.
Would you like to win some fabric to make your own pretty princess pin cushion.. well head over to my facebook page
Quilting Mumma xx
No one has commented yet.