Quiet Book Mittens
Posted by administrator on Friday, January 3rd, 2014
Quiet Book Mittens
I am so excited to kick off the New Year with our Quiet Book Series. My mind has been swimming with so many cute ideas. It was hard to choose which quiet book page I wanted to do. Since we are in the month of January, I thought it would be appropriate to have some mittens. Super easy and super fun!
1. Download the mitten template here. Trace the template onto freezer paper. Trace mitten template onto wrong side of fabric.
2. (You need 2 pieces of fabric at least 9” x 9” for tracing the mitten on) With right sides together sew on traced line through both layers of fabric. Leave an extra 1/2" at the bottom of the mitten.
3. Trim close to edge. Clip curves.
4. Turn right side out. Press.
5. Press bottom edge of mitten to the wrong side, about ½”. Sew trim to bottom edge of glove. (Pom poms, ric rac, or ribbon would look really cute. Be creative.)
6. Use a scrap piece of batting behind the background fabric, which is cut 11” x 11”. Pin in place.
7. Sew around glove using a zig zag stitch. Make a pleat at the top of the glove and both sides of the glove, to give more space to put a little hand inside the glove. See the following photos for placement.
Note: the pleat at the top of the glove is about ½” and creates space inside the glove.
Note: there is a pleat on each side of the glove and this creates space at the wrist of the glove for more room to insert the hand. These pleats are both about 1/4".
8. Cut a ribbon about 24" in length. Sew to side of glove.
9. Tie ribbon in bow at side. (This can be another activity for this page.)
Trim finished page to 10 1/2" x 10 1/2".
I used our new sparkle cotton from the Riley Blake Designs Collection called Hollywood.
I can't wait to see everyone's fabulous Quiet Book ideas. I plan on making a whole book with some of my favorites from this Quiet Book Series. Stay tuned for how to finish and assemble your quiet book.