The Hexi Weighted Blanket

Posted by JuliaG on Monday, April 21st, 2014

The Hexi Weighted Blanket

By: The Tuxedo Cat

Supply List-

• 2 yards of your choice of fabric (flannel/ cotton works well)

• 4.5 yards of your choice trim

• 2  5 pound bags of rice

• Coordinating thread

• Fabric marker

• Measuring cup

Preparation Instructions-

• Wash and iron your fabric

• Cut each yard of fabric to a 36” square

Assembly-

• Sandwich the prepared ( you can make piping or buy pre-made trim of choice) trim in between the two pieces of fabric ( the fabrics should be right sides together with the raw edge of the trim facing the raw edges of the fabric)

• Stitch three sides of the fabric trim combo together

• I like to flip the whole thing inside out and  make sure that the trim is to my liking at this point, if you need to adjust the trim placement at this time please do so

• With the blanket right sides out stitch the trim to one side of the fabric on the open side ( this will keep the trim in place when you are ready to fill and stitch the blanket shut)

• Make sure that when you are doing this step the trim is on the right side with the raw edge of the trim facing the raw edge of the fabric (it should look like it is on the outside of the blanket)

• With the marking pen and a yard stick measure and make a grid on the fabric by dividing the fabric into 16 rectangles

• Start by dividing the fabric into 4 equal quadrants

• Make the rest of your lines every 8 ¾ inches (your measurements may be a little different if your seam allowance is larger or smaller than my ½ seam allowance)

• Sew the 4 horizontal lines so that you end up with 4 open channels

• With the rice measure out a half cup for each of the channels and pour into the blanket

• When each of the four channels has a ½ cup pin on the first vertical line to create the square and sew

• Repeat the red steps until you are on the last row of squares

• On the last row put your rice in the channels and pin the opening shut with each of the raw edges tucked under and the piping neatly tucked into the blanket

When you get the edge the way you want it sew the edge shut

Category: Quilts

Comments

1. What would you use this for?
    by pat
    April 21st, 2014 at 4:14 a.m.
  2. These are wonderful directions! I shared it with my Autism Support page as I know they will be very pleased that you were so generous to share with us! Thank You!
    by Diana Dreams
    April 21st, 2014 at 6:06 a.m.
  3. Thank you for the tutorial. I am interested in making one of these. I have a question...how can this be washed with rice in it?
    by Michelle
    April 21st, 2014 at 6:09 a.m.
  4. Cannot be washed. Spot clean only.
    by Peggy
    April 21st, 2014 at 10:25 a.m.
  5. Pat, a lot of children with sensory issues and autism find comfort and are calmed by weighted blankets. The heaviness of the blanket can be soothing to them :)
    by Jenny
    April 21st, 2014 at 8:16 p.m.
  6. I made one of these for my granddaughter. Instead of trim or piping, I made a ruffle and essentially did it the same way. I also used poly pellets instead of rice. Poly pellets are like what they put in beanie babies....and can be washed. You find them in the polyfil section of Michael's or similar stores.
    by RuthWW
    April 21st, 2014 at 10:31 p.m.
  7. I have made several of these for my three autistic grandchildren. They are fabulous, and they love them. I always use the polly pellets as they are washable, though more expensive to buy than rice, but it is worth it. Can get them on the internet too.
    by Helen F
    June 04th, 2014 at 8:24 a.m.
  8. Hello All, I want to clear up some things that have been brought to my attention. First and foremost these blankets are used for autistic children to help them feel grounded. As a special education teacher, I have used these for many children. This particular blanket is not washable with rice but you can sub this out with weighted beads that you can find online in autism stores. You all have shared wonderful ideas, thank you! Julia The Tuxedo Cat
    by Julia Gold
    June 27th, 2014 at 10:35 a.m.