Hi! I’m Maureen from Maureen Cracknell Handmade and I am SO excited to be a part of the Riley Blake Design Team!! Today I’m sharing a tutorial for a Handtied Picnic Beach Quilt using a simple patchwork of Riley Blake’s new Seaside Collection for the quilt top and their Yellow Chevron Laminate Fabric for the back. If you have any questions feel free to email me!Â Now let’s get started!! Â
What you’ll need
Sewing the Seaside Quilt Top
1. pin two 11.5″ squares together with right sides facing, securing with a couple of pins on one side 2.repeat with all 24 squares until you have a stack of 12
3. sew squares together on one side, keeping a 1/4″ seam allowance, removing pins as you go 4. snip connecting threads with scissors to separate, press the seams open
7. repeat by sewing your panels of 4 squares together to make 3 panels of 8 squares, then continue to sew the quilt top together until all 24 squares are sewn together (the finished quilt top will be 4 squares wide, 6 squares long)
8. press seams open 9. add one border strip of fabric measuring 4.5″ x 44″ to both ends
Sewing the Quilt Top to the Chevron Laminate
10. with right sides facing, pin the finished Seaside Quilt Top to the piece of Chevron Laminate. Sew the top piece to the back with a 1/2-inch seam allowance around all four sides, leaving a 10-inch gap at the bottom edge. Back stitch at the beginning and end of this seam. This opening is for turning out the quilt
Hand Tying the Quilt
13. Use a length of twine or floss measuring 4″, thread through a sharp needle (there is no need to knot the end). At each place on the quilt top where fabric are sewn together, push need through the quilt top, making sure it goes through both the Seaside top and bottom Chevron layer of the quilt, bring back up through the top leaving a little stitch. Tie each stitch tightly with a square knot (a square knot is a simple double knot), trim threads to be about an inch in length. Repeat throughout the quilt.
Thank you so much for stopping by to see my Design Team Project!!! I’ll be back soon with a new one! Be sure to let me know if you give this one a go!!